This year’s watch releases have overall been fairly muted so far. Perhaps because the big brand watchmakers felt like taking it easy and playing it safe with the global pandemic still raging. Truth is that even the independents played it relatively safe, with a few very cool exceptions. That said, Catherine Rénier (CEO of Jaeger-LeCoultre) was having none of that. Under her leadership Jaeger-LeCoultre didn’t just go full speed ahead with their latest release, no no, they went absolutely balls to the wall.
I was fully expecting JLC to do something wild this year With the Reverso. It is after all an anniversary year for the Reverso. But I have to admit I was not expecting this. Jaeger-LeCoultre is the watchmaker’s watchmaker and this is a not so subtle way to remind us all why that is the case. JLC is a ‘Grande Maison’ indeed. The Reverso Hybris Mechanica is in my opinion an ode to true watchmaking. An absolute tour de force with, as far as I can tell, no equal. The key Points of the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Hybris Mechanica Calibre 185 (Quadriptyque) read as follows:
- The world’s first watch with four faces; the most complicated Reverso timepiece ever made
- A total of 11 complications, including:
- perpetual calendar,
- minute repeater,
- indications of the synodic, draconic and anomalistic cycles (never before presented together in a wristwatch), requiring 12 patents
- It combines Jaeger-LeCoultre’s uncontested mastery of chiming watches, precision mechanisms, astronomical complications and ultra-compact watchmaking
- User-friendly design and construction.
Jaeger-LeCoultre was the brand that, many Moons ago, sparked my interest in watches. A spark that has evolved into a raging fire since then. So I’ll readily admit that I have a soft spot for the brand. However, emotions aside here, and for lack of better words, this release is absolutely stunning. Now, I could easily wax on about what I admire about this watch, truth is I’m still locked down here like many of you and I have yet to see it in the metal. No chance to get a hands-on with it yet.
However, Jaeger-LeCoultre did an equally excellent job presenting this very special release in the video below. I can only insist that you watch the below. A watch unlike any other. An inspiration for many. Surely to spark the interest of many new watch enthusiasts. And of course, adding even more fuel to the passion some of us already have for the peculiar art of watchmaking.
- REVERSO HYBRIS MECHANICA CALIBRE 185
- Case material: White gold
- Case dimensions: 51.2 x 31 mm
- Thickness: 15.15 mm
- Movement: Manually wound Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 185
- Face 1: Hour – Minute, Tourbillon (indicating the Second), Instantaneous Perpetual Calendar, Grande Date, Day, Month, Leap Year, Night & Day
- Face 2: Jumping Digital Hour, Minute, Minute Repeater (with system avoiding dead time)
- Face 3: Northern Hemisphere Moon Phase, Draconic Lunar Cycle (height of the moon), Anomalistic Lunar Cycle (apogee and perigee), Month, Year
- Face 4: Southern Hemisphere Moon Phase
- Power reserve: 50 hours
- Water resistance: 30 metres
- Strap: Blue alligator
- Reference: Q7103420
- Limited edition of 10 pieces
More info here